This one was like one of those lady in the box magic tricks!!! Our client Ralph gave us the challenge to modify his existing hardwood media unit which had been designed for an older model tv and was huuuuuuugggggggggggggggggeeeeeeeeeeee! Into a much smaller piece of furniture suitable to put a modern TV on-top of, rather than fitted within. This one was not for the faint hearted,! Ralph gave us a great brief with clear instructions, dimensions and even a ‘photoshoped’ visual of how he wanted his unit modified.
We set to work tentatively working out the best way to tackle this beast. In the end we decided the only way was to get cutting, using our Festool track saw, the unit was placed on its side and the relevant cuts were made. Everything went well, but the shear size and weight of this unit made the simplest of tasks extremely difficult.
Once the unit was in two halves (lady in the box style) it was time to start carefully dis-assembling the top half in order to remake it except lower down. We started by remaking the framework which sits under the solid timber top, this added the strength and rigidity back into the piece and also formed the platform to place the top on.
Next we worked on modifying the rectangular glass doors, these needed to be re-made in a much smaller more square shape. Glass was cut down and fitted, at this stage we really started to get into this project. We loved the vision of our client and the challenge of trying to use all the material on offer to make something new out of an existing piece of furniture.
Once the doors where fitted it was time to make two new drawers from the timber re-claimed from the upper section of the ‘old unit’. There was just enough timber left over to complete the drawers, but as the timber was from the side of the unit there was a slight colour difference which could have been down to sun bleaching or just the way the unit had been originally sprayed. Either way we added a slight tint to try and match the colour a bit better. New handles were sourced and the drawers fitted.
A final tighten up and a wax polish and mission accomplished, we had worked to our clients brief and modified a traditional style solid timber TV unit, and dragged it kicking and screaming into the digital age, ready to be used to display a modern TV.
What can we say, this was a great project to work on. If you have the vision like Ralph to think outside the box (no pun intended!) and think of alternative ways to use and re-purpose good quality furniture rather than just tossing it out and buying new, why not give the Tane team a shout!
Leave a Reply