Our clients Dean & Christine had inherited a lot of green furniture! With great sentimental value and family historical value, designed and built by a great grandfather over 100 years ago. They came to use to seek advice on the restoration and preservation of the pieces. I thought I would share this particular piece with you as it was to me the most interesting to work on.
Previously quite a large desk, its dimensions had been modified to suit our clients house. It’s new life would be a display unit for another family heirloom, an old hand built model galleon. First things first… “Who the hell painted it green!” I politely asked my client Dean, to which he replied “me!”
Whoops, well that was awkward. Dean was awesome and happy for me to strip off his handy work to reveal the true beauty of the timber underneath this re-purposed family treasure. I must admit although the new unit doesn’t look much in the photo above, i could really see the potential in this little unit. Lets get stripping!
We removed all the layers of green paint and under-coat, which left the timber extremely dry. Never fear after a few days completely drying out we started to bring back the life and luster with a linseed oil mix. But while we are waiting for that why don’t we tackle the issues with the top. Due to the fact the top had been cut from a larger top, it produced a problem on the edges, showing where the boards had been joined and basically looked ugly. Using some timber parts from the original desk we re-purposed them into edging strips, cut, sanded, biscuit-ed and glued to the edge ….
Time for the oil… We had to be extremely generous with our mix as this old timer was extremely thirsty. With all those years under a coat of green, then stripped bare and cleaned this little re-purposed unit soaked up the oil with started to nourish and bring back the life to the timber.
We added a tint stain to the veneered timber top to bring it into line with the legs and hey presto this little unit was ready for its final top coat and refitting.
After several coats of satin woodwax, with a wire-wool rub down in between. A final wax and feed and this little re-purposed unit was fully transformed from the incredible hulk to a beautiful piece of antique furniture fit to now display a treasure family heirloom and in its own right become a much loved part of the family.
Leave a Reply